Three years ago, I asked the nice people that owned the building (and that hold the license to our studio) if we could paint our studio space. It was white and dirty from hands and feet. I offered to do all the work and purchase the paint, after all, it was my idea. On Memorial Day they called and asked me to come down and check out the paint they tested on the walls. They’d had someone paint the entire place. The whole thing. All of it, and it’s quite a large space. I stayed all day that day, and helped as we moved stuff around. Our massage therapist had moved out, so they let the studio take over her space as well. We now had our own entryway, lounge space and boutique.
The lounge, entryway and our boutique areas, have been this color you see above for a long time. Neutral flesh is what we’ve decided it call it. It’s OK. It went with our eclectic array of stuff and our funky rugs and whimsies. Rugs are great. Especially on a concrete floor in the winter time in a basement. But on occasion we have a lot of rain, or ice or snow that will melt. Wet rugs are not fun. Then there’s the funk and the weight that goes with that. I like to improve stuff. It was time. A couple of us picked out this great color of paint. It was a metallic, silvery jade. We wanted shimmer and we needed shine. I went to purchase that cool paint to find it was a two part process. Yep. That’s right. The first gallon is a base coat that costs $30. The second gallon, the shimmer coat, costs $40. What? I about died. What if we had to paint this area twice? No can do.
This time, I didn’t ask. I just went for it. Hope I’m not in trouble!
So there I was. At Lowe’s. All alone with no swatches of anything for ideas except the thought that I’d already painted the cabinetry, our lamp and our bookcase black. The studio is already green, so Wasabi was out. I went for an antique gold. It has hues of green and it’s warm and bright at the same time. I picked up the flower panels at Tuesday Morning. Uh oh. We forgot to paint underneath the counter. Amanda and I painted the entryway.
I found an affordable place online to purchase some interlocking foam squares for the floor. They can get wet and they came in lots of colors. Sold. We got black and red. I also recovered our barstools that used to be covered with this dated tapestry. This area turned out amazing. It looked so good that in fact, it made our lounge and fountain area (which is quite large) look bad. So all alone yesterday and the night before, I tackled the job. Flesh color be gone. I also removed a door which we never close, it’s pictured in the before photo, it’s a big, white door. I jacked my shoulder up moving that, so I’m hoping it’ll work itself out in class tomorrow. Granted I can get out bed.
Fountain area before and after.
The balance practice that I taught all week really came in handy while wielding a paint brush and standing on the edge of this fountain. I’m not a tall person. It was quite the stretch for me. I was so tired afterwards I failed to get a photo of the completed area. That’s OK. There’s always later as I need to get the artwork back on the walls.
The students that don’t read this blog, will be in for a BIG surprise next week.
Happy Fourth and 5th and 6th……………