Labor Day weekend. What did I do? I labored. Awhile back, I repainted our entry way and lounge area to the studio. It was long overdue and it looks beautiful now. The store was next. The week I’d planned to do it, I came down with a stomach virus. No need to say anymore.
The boutique had been painted the same fleshy, neutral color as our lounge area about 10 years ago. I also had some great wall grid left over from my video store that I thought would be cool to hang our new line of clothing on. By the way, all of our Stonewear Yoga wear is 75% off now. That’s like…..free clothes people and it’s going fast.
Of course, what was supposed to be a two or three hour project turned into a nightmare.
After the yoga class on Sunday, my fellow teachers helped me clear out the store which involved the heavy rug I’d brought from home way back when. The rest of the stuff wasn’t too bad to move. The boutique is actually an old bank vault as our building was a bank at one time. The floor is concrete like the rest of our lounge and entry space, except in this vault they had painted the floor about 24 inches (or more) all the way around with the wall color. We’d noticed it had been getting sticky and wondered who had spilled something in there. Once the rug was removed, I mopped it. Revelation time. The floor had been painted with flat, latex paint which cuts with water. So with the high humidity in the basement, this paint had turned tacky.
Uh oh. This is the part where all the other people leave because they have something else to do. And it’s OK. This was my idea, my project and I was going to handle it. Classic independent Kirsten. Not needing any help from anybody.
Practicing what I preach, I decided to nip this in the bud with no anger. I stayed calm and focused on what I had to do. I ran home. I got a swiffer-like paint scraper on a pole. I did a small area before I thought I would die. I tried to not think too much about the outcome. I stayed present with the task on hand knowing that this paint would eventually dissolve.
Then, I asked for help.
I called my husband to see if he had any other ideas. He showed up shortly with a shop broom and an extra bucket. We scrubbed the entire floor with water and that shop broom. Then we scraped the rest of the paint away. We had a bucket full of paint when we finished. Too bad we didn’t have a place to use it. This took about three hours and mind you, this area is only about 9 x 15 feet or so. I was extremely grateful for the help.
After that was finished and I’d mopped it a couple more times, I could prepare to paint.
The painting only took a couple of hours. I let the paint dry over night and returned on Monday to put the place back together.